John 2: 5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you to do.”
In the second chapter of John, we read that Jesus and his disciples were invited to participate in the wedding festivities held in the town of Cana. I think it’s important to look at this event a few different ways.
In this story, Jesus is surrounded by his disciples yet he is also mingling with others in the community. As Christians, it’s so important for us to live in community with other Christians. Like the early church (Acts 2:42), we should encourage each other to live by God’s word and hold each other up in prayer. But it’s also important for us to remember the those around us in desperate need Jesus. So, when I am in situations that place me around those living with a “worldly” view, how do I act?
- Am I conducting myself in a manner that honors Christ?
- Does He shine through me in the way I speak and act towards others?
- Am I a person of honesty and integrity at work and in social situations?
- Do I gossip or point a judgmental finger at those who are different than me?
- When I mess up, do I fess up?
- Do I leave the doors of the church Sunday mornings and never give God a second thought until the next Sunday service?